Truck accident cases proceed in different ways than typical car accident cases, and these differences begin as soon as the collision occurs. Truck drivers and trucking companies must follow specific state and federal regulations, which were put in place to improve safety because collisions between trucks and cars have the potential to inflict catastrophic harm to the occupants of the much smaller vehicles. So, a violation of any of these rules could significantly affect your ability to file a successful claim.
Below are the steps you should take if you’ve been involved in a truck accident:
- Call the police: It is helpful for your claim to have an accident report generated and filed, even if you did not sustain much damage to your vehicle. This gives you an objective account of the facts on record that you can refer to later.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you initially feel fine, there is a chance symptoms could manifest themselves hours or even days afterward. If you refuse medical attention, it could be used against you. The opposing side may argue that your injuries are not as serious as you claim.
- File an insurance report: As soon as you have the opportunity, contact your auto insurance company and notify an adjuster of your accident.
- Stick to the facts: You’ll have to talk to your own insurance company, and possibly the insurance provider of the other side. When you do, stick to the facts. Do not elaborate any more than necessary. You should also avoid saying too much to witnesses or the truck driver. Let the facts speak for themselves.
- Get legal assistance: The statute of limitations for filing a truck accident claim in Florida is four years. You should seek legal assistance to make sure you can proceed with your injury claim in a reasonable amount of time. It’s also important to be represented by an experienced attorney because these claims may involve more than one defendant, including the trucking company, the driver, or a third party.
For more information on the steps, you should take after a trucking accident, meet with a trusted reliable team of truck accident attorneys at Serrano Law. You can reach our Wesley Chapel Location at 813.929.4231 or our Tallahassee Location at 850.201.7210. You can also contact us online